Road Trip Diary – Part (2/4) – #TPTOnTheRoad

Day four up to six. This is what happened in the following three days.

Day 4: Another day of traveling. This time it was from Île de Ré to some place down lower, but not too far. We had to pack up early to buy food somewhere, because the day before, we forgot that basically every store is closed on a Sunday. While packing up and still on schedule, Rik noticed something peculiar: the car had a flat tire. This meant we had to fix the issue before we could continue. First we tried it ourselves, but figured it would take way too long. Then we informed the reception of our ordeal, and they offered to send us their technician. He came within mere minutes and swapped our airless wheel for the spare one lying underneath the car. The next objective was to find a garage that could fix our lifeless tire. We found one fairly soon. When we got there we had to explain what was going on to the mechanic, but with the obvious information right in front of his nose, it wasn’t that hard for us, even when we didn’t have the necessary lingual skills. Within fifteen minutes, he fixed our car for less than €20. After this we were able to leave the island, but only after we had our breakfast (finally) and went for a swim. The relaxation took a few hours, and it was time to start looking for a new place to sleep, so that’s what we did. We left the island and drove down. Because of all the hysteria, we thought it was best to keep our destination close, so what followed was a small town called Pons, where we found a camping owned by Dutch folk with some beautiful open spots for us to set up our stuff. We would only stay here for one night though.

Day 5: Another day of driving. This time it was even more down, right to very close to the Spanish border, where everything is written bilingual: French and Basque. We drove some 40 km off the coast, more land inwards, but right through no-mans land, because there wasn’t a thing to do for about 150-200 km. We were lucky to find us some lunch. When we got there, we found a camping right alongside the water. Our tent was only 50 m from the sand. We didn’t even set up our gear, and went straight to the water to cool down, since the drive there had completely drowned us in our own sweat. (benefits of no airconditioning)
It was the 14th of July, so in the evening there would be fireworks, but this turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax, since ‘our’ village didn’t attempt to do any of that. We did go to the shore, because it was so close, but when we found out we weren’t able to see much of it due to mountains and hills that blocked our sight, we returned.

Day 6: St. Jean de Luz was not a place where we would immediately leave, because we wanted to see the city of Biarritz. As always, our mornings are slow starts, but because bread was sort of a rare thing to come across in our neighborhood, we had to drive to the centre of St. Jean de Luz to get our hands on some fresh baguettes. After breakfast, we did not go straight to Biarritz though, since it was too hot for us. We went for a dive first. When the cool down was all done and we dried off, we headed over to the car to drive to the surfer’s city. We walked there for two hours, but for us it was just too hot to keep on walking there. We went back, went for another swim and did very few things in the evening.

Stay tuned for more in the next few days.



About Harry

As a small child, he already knew one thing for sure: his life would in some way revolve around cars. Several years later, he pursues his goal of earning a living as a motoring journalist. Also has a deep adoration for sushi and hip-hop music.

Share your thoughts!